The majority of healthy pregnant women can expect the natural process of labour to result in the birth of a healthy baby, followed by the birth of the placenta. Expectant management also has other important benefits. The Maternity Services Consumer Council has produced a resource to provide consumers with evidence-based information about the importance of a physiological third stage of labour.
- What is the third stage of labour?
- Physiological third stage
- Advantages of a physiological third stage
- Active management of the third stage
- Reasons for active management
- The risks of active management
- Lotus Birth
- Cord Blood Banking
Before consumers consent to active management of the third stage of labour, they should understand why it is being recommended, the risks, benefits and possible consequences of the interventions being proposed. The resources helps them make informed decisions.